Friday 16 October 2009

Design for Life

Recently I have been watching the 'Design for Life' series on BBC2. I've really enjoyed watching the designers progress with their designs (or not so much on certain occasions). Whilst tuning in I feel I have learnt some interesting facts about previous design (such as where inspiration for certain designs originated from) and have had a good insight into the design world. Seeing how design presentations to clients should be constructed has given me a better idea of how I should plan out my work and thought processes in a coherent way. It has helped me to understand which aspects are important to consider whilst designing and how simple designs can on many occaisions be just as successful or even more so than intricate designs.

Watching the hopefuls has made me very jealous of the opportunities they've had and made me even more driven to continue pursuing a career in design. Even though Phillipe Starck is a highly regarded designer, I have to admit sometimes I can't help but disagree with some of his comments. For example when he labels some of the hopefuls design's as useless, when clearly they do have the potential to help those in certain situations. Anyway, I'm not sure I'm really in any position to judge any of his opinions, so I'll move on quickly. I defininately recommend catching up with 'Design for Life' if you're not already watching !